Thursday, June 11, 2009

Nanoscale, the book

No, I have not compiled my blog postings into dead-tree format. Nor have I finished my textbook based on my graduate nanoscale physics course sequence. Instead, I wanted to point out this book, which is a cute volume with lots of computer-rendered pictures of crystal structures and the like. It's an admirable attempt to give the reader a sense of the atomic-scale composition of materials, along with brief, informative, often fun descriptions. While there are a few minor typos that seem to be caused by autocorrection run amok, the book remains entertaining and educational, with very well crafted illustrations. The book has its own website, too.

3 comments:

DanM said...

When they license the movie rights, who's gonna play you?

Damian Synnott said...

Bought this book off amazon a few weeks ago and the author does a great job of explaining everything in a very interesting way. I like his little personal comments on the various materials too.

Tobias said...

Oh, and I was halfway up the stairs to congratulate you on your book when I saw the headline :)

Are you anywhere close to completion, Doug?